Foods with a high nutrient value are known as superfoods. They provide many of the nutrients for a small number of calories. Superfoods are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, and ideal for stimulating and protecting our digestive systems.
Including superfoods as part of our daily nutritional intake is great but only when consuming a healthy, balanced diet overall. While superfoods can add more nutrients to a meal, they should not replace other food groups but rather complement and add to them.
Here’s a list of superfoods to implement in your diet in 2021.
Sea moss is a form of algae that has been utilized for centuries by coastal communities, like Jamaica and the Caribbean. They use this seaweed for a multitude of medicinal purposes.
Sea moss contains over 90 important minerals that improves gut health, thyroid health, strengthens joints and so much more. This seaweed truly renews you from within. Sea moss is high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, all of which can help with overall health.
Benefits of Sea Moss
- Full of minerals and nutrients
- Contains 92 beneficial nutrients
- Sea moss contains iodine, which is beneficial to your thyroid and can help you lose weight.
- Aphrodisiac and increases stamina
- Promotes healthy skin and aids in nail and hair growth
- Lowers blood pressure
- Eliminates mucus
The benefits are endless when it comes to this nutrient rich superfood.
Elderberry is another important, and one of the most highly used medicinal plants in the world. It was originally used by the indigenous people to help treat fever and rheumatism, and the ancient Egyptians used this berry to help improve complexion and heal burns.
This small dark purple berry is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and offers many health benefits. Today, it is most commonly used as a supplement to treat cold and flu-like symptoms. This puts it high on the list of 2021’s best superfoods.
Benefits of Elderberry
- Packed with antioxidants
- Boosts immune system
- Supports heart health
- Anti inflammatory and antibacterial
- Contains anti cancer properties
- Reduces severity and length of common cold and Flu symptoms
Like sea moss, this superfood has so many health benefits and can be used together. Locally sourced sea moss from Jamaica is infused with elderberry in a gel like form and has endless amounts of benefits. This superfood rich product can be found at Blue Mahoe Organics.
The origin of turmeric dates back nearly 4000 years ago and was used in India for a culinary spice, as a healing herb and for religious use. Today turmeric is used in many ways for the amazing health benefits it offers. Like the other superfoods we have spoken about already, turmeric benefits our inner and outer health.
Benefits of Turmeric
- Powerful antioxidants
- Anti-cancer effects
- Increase in metabolism and weight loss
- Liver detoxifier
- Improves oxygen flow to the brain
- Natural antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties
- Lowers bad cholesterol levels
Like the elderberry, this superfood can be used and consumed on its own or alongside others to intensify its benefits.
Burdock root is a superfood that is commonly used in teas and supplements. The root comes from the burdock plant and is harvested and eaten as a root vegetable. It was originally harvested in Northern Asia and Europe, but is now grown all over the world.
Burdock root is utilized as both a food and for its medicinal benefits, which can treat a wide range of conditions. Here is a list of all the benefits.
Benefits of Burdock Root
- Powerful antioxidant
- Blood purifier
- Promotes skin health
- Promotes gut health
- Lowers blood pressure
- Strengthens lymphatic system
- Liver health
Africa's Baobab (Adansonia) is renowned for its numerous medicinal properties. It contains nearly six times more potassium than bananas. This isn't one of those superfoods you want to eat too much of because it's so high in soluble fiber. The result of doing so would be a laxative effect. When consumed in moderation, there are many benefits.
Benefits of Baobab Fruit & Powder
- A decent source of a variety of essential vitamins and minerals.
- It will help you eat less and lose weight by reducing cravings and increasing feelings of fullness.
- Help slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream due to its high fiber content.
- Antioxidants and polyphenols, which are compounds that minimize inflammation in the body.
- Its Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) is 140,000 which is about 6x the vitamin C of oranges.
- Powdered forms are, thankfully, readily available at many health food stores and online retailers around the world.
Coffee fruit, which is derived from the same plant as the coffee bean, is usually discarded during the coffee-making process. It’s gaining popularity as a supplement and beverage ingredient with possible health benefits. It contains less caffeine than coffee beans, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of increased energy without the “crash” or jittery feeling that coffee can cause.
Benefits of Coffee Fruit
- Antioxidants and polyphenols are abundant
- Help in the preservation of brain activity
- Slowing of the aging process
- It's high in chlorogenic acid, which has been tested for its potential to help people lose weight and burn fat.
Superfoods are a great component of a balanced diet. Incorporate any of these superfoods into your regular diet as well as skin care in 2021. The endless health benefits will only help your body from within. Whether you're consuming it or adding it to tea or a face mask, there are endless possibilities on how to incorporate these superfoods into your daily life.