In its natural state, sea moss has a very mild flavor, making it an easy superfood addition to a variety of recipes. It is an excellent plant-based alternative to gelatin or other thickening agents. In Jamaica, it is commonly consumed in teas, but it can also be used in:
- Homemade ice cream
- Stews and soups
Since sea moss has little to no taste, you can get as imaginative as your heart desires with your recipes. Don't be afraid to try new things, you could come up with a fresh, tasty recipe that your tastebuds and body will thank you for!
How To Prepare Sea Moss
To begin, thoroughly wash the sea moss using filtered, spring, or alkaline water. When handling sea moss, always keep your hands clean to avoid contaminating it. We recommend washing it twice through to ensure that it is completely clean. Simply submerged the moss in water, and massage it to remove any excess sand and debris.
After washing, place the sea moss in a large bowl and cover it with filtered, alkaline, or spring water. Then, cover and allow it to soak for 12 to 24 hours. Keep it covered on your counter at room temperature. The sea moss does not need to be refrigerated.
Once done soaking, the sea moss will have absorbed some of the water and expanded in size. This indicates that it is now ready to be used.
Sea Moss Drink (Irish Moss Drink)
This recipe from That Girl Cooks Healthy, puts a minimally-processed, vegan twist on the traditional Jamaican sea moss drink. With no boiling required, this spice-infused drink is sure you leave you wanting more.
To make sea moss gel:
- 100g of Raw Golden Sea Moss (3.5oz)
- 6 cups warm water (to soak the moss)
- 2 tbsp of linseed flaxseed (optional)
To make single- serving drink:
- 1 Cup Almond milk (can use coconut milk)
- Coconut condensed milk (optional - to taste)
- ¼ cup of Sweetener - coconut nectar, agave nectar, or maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
To make seamoss gel:
- Place the sea moss in a colander.
- Thoroughly wash any debris and excess sea salt from your moss. Do this several times until the sea moss looks and feels clean.
- Place the sea moss and flaxseed in a large size bowl with the 6 cups of warm water and leave to soak overnight. The moss will expand in size and the water should thicken slightly.
- Use a colander to drain excess water.
- Place the sea moss into a blender and puree until it reaches a gel consistency. (You may need to add some water to your blender to help break it down)
- Scoop out the gel and transfer into a jar/bowl and refrigerate.
To make sea moss drink:
- Add 4tbsp to ⅓ cup of the sea moss paste along with the almond milk, vanilla, spices, sweetener of your choice into a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth - add any extras, i.e. rum, stout, oats etc. if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sea Moss Smoothie
- 4 oz Sea Moss Gel
- 1 cup (or more) frozen soursop (guanábana) pulp
- 1.5 cups spring water
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2.5 tbsp agave or honey
- Add all ingredients to your blender
- Blend until smooth
For an extra smooth texture, run through a mesh strainer to remove excess pulp
Sea Moss Ice Cream
- 1 cup of hazelnuts (soaked overnight and rinsed)
- 3 cups of water
- Use a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Use a nut milk bag to strain the liquid into a glass bowl.
- Rinse blender then add the following ingredients:
- 1/3 ripe avocado
- 12 pitted dates
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of Sea Moss Gel
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- 3 cups of hazelnut milk
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- Add ice and blend at low speed until smooth
- The key is to add about 2 cups of ice at a time and blend at a low speed.
- You may pick up speed on the last blend but do not blend for long.
- The longer you blend, the hotter the machine gets and this will heat your ice cream.
- You will know it’s ready when you reach a thick, creamy consistency.
Whether you indulge in one of these delicious treats, or try a creation of your own, incorporating sea moss into your diet has major benefits. With over 12 essential vitamins and nutrients, your body will be glowing from the inside out. At Blue Mahoe Organics, we source 100% of our products straight from Jamaica’s coastal waters and deliver it to you in its purest state, so you can feel confident in our quality!